Saturday, 21 November 2015

Postcards

I tried to turn some of my photos into postcard style images. I used Paint, PowerPoint, Picture Manager, FotoFlexer.com, BeFunky.com and PicMonkey.com to manipulate the original images. I liked the challenge because.

  1. The image I had in my head rarely matched what I could produce on paper. But I would never have realised this had I not done it
  2. On the other hand, sometimes I surprised myself and came up with an image that I had not even thought of beforehand. Again, I would never have known this had I not gone ahead and experimented. 
  3. Even through making lots of errors, producing things that I didn't like, or being disappointed that my image did not match what I had in mind, the actual doing it was still enjoyable. How else can you learn if you do not just try, try, try?
The process was also useful because it made me try and articulate lots of vague, aspirational ideas that were floating around in my head. The final images were often not quite how I wished they would look like but I was happy with at least a couple and that was good enough for me. Perhaps if I did it another time I would produce another few more I would be happy with - and so on and so on.

Flickr pictures

An Edinburgh collage of Calton Hill, Arthur's Seat, and an Eduardo Paolozzi sculpture